National Staff Job Openings
Gamaliel Communications Specialist Position – Part Time
Gamaliel is hiring a part-time communications specialist to increase the public profile of the Gamaliel Network through digital and social media platforms.
Gamaliel is a faith-based, multi-ethnic, multi-racial organizing network operating in 44 regions in 15 states. Over its 31-year history, Gamaliel has trained thousands of ordinary people, primarily in low-income urban neighborhoods, to exert their civic power to improve their lives and local communities. Gamaliel’s organizing work draws on struggles for justice by people of faith spanning many nations, creeds, and cultures. Our work draws on the sacred writings of our multiple faith traditions—Christian teachings from the Bible, the Torah, Catholic social teaching—as well as the founding principles of American democracy, the U.S. civil rights movement, and many other sources. Above all, our work begins and ends in an expression of the personal faith and values of our members.
The communications specialist position has a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Gamaliel is an equal opportunity employer. Gamaliel is accepting resumes from June 5, 2020, until the position is filled. Submit a cover letter and resume with references at: https://gamaliel.org/communications-specialist-application-form/.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
In general, the Communications Specialist will focus on increasing the public profile of Gamaliel with a particular focus on social media and the Gamaliel website. In addition, the Communications Specialist will:
- Develop an e-communications plan that supports organizational needs and priorities by working closely with national staff and state directors;
- Find, develop, and disseminate stories on digital and social media (website, twitter, Facebook, etc.) that support Gamaliel’s mission;
- Work with the development director and training department to develop materials needed for their work; and
- Work with network affiliates to expand their social media communications capacity.
Experience and Qualification Requirements
Qualified candidates must have a baccalaureate degree in a relevant field with demonstrable skills and experience in social media and written communication. Candidates must be able to embrace and articulate Gamaliel’s mission and values, work well in a team environment, and be willing to travel. Spanish language fluency is a plus.
Affiliate Job Openings
The Gamaliel Network is a faith-based, multi-ethnic, multi-racial organizing network operating in 44 regions in 15 states. Gamaliel’s foundation and strongest base comes from the membership of thousands of congregations, representing more than 20 faith traditions, though we have made a special effort to reach out to marginalized people who might not otherwise have found their way into our network and into our congregations. Over its 31-year history, Gamaliel has trained thousands of ordinary people, primarily in low-income urban neighborhoods, to exert their civic power to improve their lives and local communities. Gamaliel has grown into a national network dedicated to building a diverse corps of grassroots leaders from local congregations committed to transforming the systems and structures that perpetuate racial and economic inequities.
Our mission is to empower ordinary people to effectively participate in the political, environmental, social and economic decisions affecting their lives.
Working with an established group of community and faith-based leaders to build relationships, develop leadership skills and organize issue-oriented campaigns related to economic development, criminal justice, education, health care and immigration. Must be proactive in the areas of campaign development, fundraising and leadership development.
- Bachelor’s degree in related areas: Social Work, Political Science, Theology or History. Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Experience as a community organizer or labor organizer.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including various faith traditions, immigrants, and different abilities is strongly desired.
- Understanding of racial and social systemic barriers.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish and English is preferred but not required.
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written and interpersonal.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Strong team player.
- Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Familiarity with using databases is desirable.
Please email cover letter and resume to
Juan F. Soto, Gamaliel Organizing Director firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please
There are no other job listings at this time. Please refer to the list in the side bar for alternative job boards and career resources.
Use the Directory to schedule an informational interview with an organizer or president
Candidates may be invited to attend Gamaliel's National Leadership Training to learn more.