Gamaliel connects community leaders to advocacy and citizenship resources for DACA and DAPA workshops and provides other resources to support communities where many of our undocumented immigrants live.
“When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the stranger. The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the stranger as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.” – Leviticus 19:33-34
These faith values compelled the founding of our nation and shaped the founders’ vision for our future. They should guide our elected leaders to enact comprehensive immigration reform. America’s people of faith have witnessed how our country’s broken immigration system has separated countless families and compromised the dignity of millions of decent people. That witness inspired Gamaliel to launch our Civil Rights of Immigrants campaign to advocate smart and fair policies that affect immigrants locally and win Comprehensive Immigration Reform.
To that end, we call on Congress and the President to enact fair and compassionate immigration legislation that incorporates the following principles:
- Provide a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented people currently within our borders, with an expedited path for family members of U.S. citizens, DACA students, and individuals with Temporary Protection Status
- Ensure that fees for DACA and citizenship are low and affordable
- Emphasize healthy families and communities rather than border security and punishment
- Halt deportations and workplace raids
- Reunify families and end the Secure Communities program and legal provisions (e.g., 10-year ban) that have led to their separation
- Protect civil, labor, and human rights of all immigrants, regardless of legal status
- Provide access to healthcare, social services and due process, regardless of legal status
- Ensure protections for victims of violence and trafficking
- Recognize the contributions of women and low-income immigrants
- Provide permanent visas for undocumented veterans